Friday 31 December 2010

HARTMANN'S OR BURCHELL'S ZEBRA?




All is going well here in Kasungu. It has been a good week for game viewing and I have seen much of what is to be seen here including a small herd of elephants that came by the house, hippo, buffalo, Sable, Roan, zebra, hartebeest, reed buck, puku, common duiker, grysbok, vervet monkey, baboon and wart hog. I have pictures of elephant, bush pig and civet on the cameras and there have been reports of 5 wild dog 2 days ago. A builder that visits the park regularly also told me she had seen 2 prides of lion back in October. One pride consisted of 1 male, 4 females and a cub and the other was 1 male, 1 female and a cub. I assume these were the same lions as they were in the same area and only a few days apart. However it is good news as this demonstrates that they are still around and in some numbers. I have seen spoor of leopard but no actual sightings. Hyaena regularly come near to the house and can be heard ‘whooping’ away.
A couple of South Africans came to the park other day, Leon and Debbie, and stayed for 3 nights. We went for a drive and saw zebra. Although we saw some which were definitely Burchell’s zebra we also saw a small herd that might have been Hartmann’s zebra. Their face was different and had ‘reddy brown’ hair around the muzzle as well as the stripes looking different to the Burchell’s. If there are any experts out their please take a look at the photos and let me know what you think. If I get clearer pictures Ill post them when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment