Saturday 11 December 2010

MOZAMBIQUE SPITTING COBRA


When I came across this Mozambique spitting cobra it was head to head with a hamerkop in the near empty swimming pool at the lodge. The bird was after the tadpoles and the snake after the toads.
It can get out of the pool by climbing the ladder but I put a log into the pool for it to use to climb out of the pool. The workers came to see the snake and most were petrified by it. They say they are evil? This one was around 5 feet long so it must have been about fully grown and in really good condition. Other snakes I have seen recently are the Rhombic night adder, the spotted bush snake, python and the striped bellied sand snake.
I decided to remove the snake from the pool last night as the water was quite cold and I had a feeling that the night watchman was going to kill the snake. I got quite a long stick and gently removed the cobra onto the grass beside the pool. I have never seen a Malawian run so fast! The snake disappeared in one direction and the man in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment