Sunday 6 September 2009

Back to Africa


I have returned to Africa and have spent a few days in South Africa and Swaziland enjoying the animals and catching up with a few friends. I managed to get some excellent footage of lion, rhino and elephant in the Kruger and some good shots of hippo and crocodile in Swaziland.
While in Hluhluwe I tested out my cameras with limited success. I managed to capture images of hyena, white tailed mongoose, nyala, bush buck and a domestic cat that nobody knew about.
I am now back in Malawi and have been sorting things out with the Department of National parks and wildlife regarding my future in Malawi. They have agreed to let me use one of their houses in Kasungu National park for the use of volunteers and as a centre for me to carry out my photographic pilot study of the wild life in the parks. I am working on the MOU and hope this will secure my future out here for a while.
The wild dogs have been seen again in Kasungu so it looks like they might be a resident pack which is good news for me but bad news for them as the poaching of wildlife is still at a high level at present.
There are several wild lions roaming around in the north of the country and they are eating cattle and this has lead to the parks department sending out their hunters to take care of the problem. This is such a tragedy as Malawi only has a few lion left and it looks as though several of these are going to be shot. What I would like to do is set up a capture and release program for such incidents as this but nobody seems to have any money to donate to the project which might help in a situation such as this.
I have at last purchased an old land rover for me use in the bush so this will hopefully give me a bit more freedom. It is an old 1996 Defender 90, white and needs a bit of tender love and care.
I am going to try and arrange for a couple of the big volunteers companies in England to send me out some eco-volunteers and this will hopefully help pay for my project and help save things like the lions in the future.If anyone out there knows of anyone one wishing to spend a few weeks in the African bush helping conservation get them to contact me and we can make a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment