Sunday 27 September 2009

Leopard at last


Cameras
I have been placing the cameras around the main Lifupa camp for the past few days. It is actually quite exciting but also disappointing on occasions when things don’t turn up as you would like.
To date they have captured: bush buck (male and females) elephant, buffalo, hyena, bush pig, civet, large spotted genet, common duiker and at last a leopard. The elephant are quite interesting as they show their relative sizes. Some you can see right under their bellies and yes I have been chased by a large elephant the other day. It was lucky I was in the land rover.
I have started making up data sheets and will be recording any distinguishing marks on the large carnivores. This leopard has some patterns on the rear right leg and right hand rear flank. I think by the size of its head that it is a female but you may correct me if you think differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment